Comprehensive Roadside Safety Checkpoint to Be Conducted
The objectives of this checkpoint are as follows:
1. Deter vehicles from being operated on the highways with defective equipment;
2. Deter drivers from operating vehicles without a valid driver’s license;
3. Deter drivers from operating vehicles without proper insurance and/or proper registration;
4. Deter impaired driving and thereby reducing deaths, injury, and property damage caused by alcohol and drug impaired drivers;
5. Deter impaired drivers before a crash occurs;
6. Conduct checkpoints with a minimum amount of intrusion and motorist inconvenience; and
7. Ensure the safety of the affected motorist and officers.
To further enhance highway safety, LCSO and the FHP encourage all citizens using the highways to report suspected impaired drivers to the nearest law enforcement agency. When making your report you should attempt to provide the following information:
A. Where you saw the vehicle and its direction of travel;
B. The vehicle description including its color, make and model;
C. A description of the driver; and
D. The vehicle license plate information.
Cellular phone callers can contact the nearest
by dialing “Star FHP” (*347). This is a
free call that is provided as a courtesy by the cellular phone companies in FHP
Communications Center . Callers can report any emergency, including
an impaired driver, by calling 911. Florida
Roadside Safety Checkpoints are one part of the enforcement plan to enhance highway safety for all our citizens and the visitors to our State.